Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Bed rest.

As of Monday night, I have been put on bed rest for "at least two weeks." 

After a quick trip to the park, where I sat in the shade and watched on as Beau chased Owen up and down the playground, and grocery store I started getting contractions. These weren't the random tightening ones I had been getting on Saturday and Sunday. These were crampy, achy, and coming every 15 min or sooner. What really worried me was that these felt like the contractions I had the morning Owen was born. 

I finally decided to call the nurse to see what her advice would be. After paging the Dr. and three more contractions, she told me to head over L&D to be evaluated. I had a few more contractions on the way over and after checking my vitals and hearing the baby's heart beat, the nurse asked me to let her know when I was having another contraction. I did and when she checked the monitor it turned out that I had one before that I hadn't noticed.

They started me right away on an iv of fluids, even though I had been staying very hydrated. The Dr came in and did an extremely uncomfortable pelvic exam to check my cervix and swab to test for fetal fibronectin. Thankfully, my cervix was closed and an ultrasound showed that there isn't any thinning yet. The iv didn't slow the contractions, so they gave me two shots of terbutaline which did end up stopping them. Before deciding to let me go home, the Dr told me that the results of the fFN test came back positive. This doesn't necessarily mean that I will give birth preterm, but along with the fact that Owen was born preterm it increases the chances to above 60%. 

The Dr. sent me home with a prescription for procardia to try to keep the contractions from starting back up and orders for bed rest. So far the contractions have continued, but at a much less regular rate. I have an ultrasound scheduled for Friday morning and a check-up on Monday. I'm just praying hard that Liza stays right where she is for at least 15 more weeks.


3 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this. Bedrest is so hard. :( Thinking of you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I was on bed rest for 6 weeks but not with a toddler running around :( hope you have help and get some rest mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you now. Liza will stay where she needs to be, I hope you can manage the bed rest I know it will be quite the challenge with Owen.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover