Saturday, January 12, 2013

5 ways to cope with difficult situations

with all of the craziness that has been the beginning of 2013 i never really had the time to sit down and make resolutions. this is something i normally do on new years day, and lets face it, i was a little preoccupied this year. but after a week of neglecting any of my duties and being completely consumed by worrying about Luke i've decided that it isn't fair to Beau or Owen. Beau has been so fantastic- picking up my slack, taking O from me when he can see me getting overwhelmed, and just being there to listen and let me cry when i need to. although i still often feel like just breaking down in tears i realize that life must go on. yes the pain and worry are still there and very real, but i have to figure out how to fulfill my families needs and cope with the situation at the same time.


1. prayer- i'll admit that i'm not one of those people who says "i'll just give it to God and not worry about it" that's just not how i believe it works. but i do believe in the power of prayer and asking God for strength and guidance and to fill me with the Holy Spirit so that i might know His will.

2. exercise, fresh air, and sunshine- when something so life changing happens it is easy to let it get you down. sometimes the situation is so consuming that it seems impossible to feel happy. my mother always said "sunshine and exercise are more effective than antidepressants." she read it in some article somewhere, but i believe it to be true. forcing yourself to get outside and get moving can make a world of difference in your mood and your outlook on any situation.

3. journal- this is a huge help for me. i'm someone who will just think about something over and over. i replay situations in my head, i make up situations that i hope will happen or i'm scared will happen. the only way to prevent all these thoughts from taking over my brain is to get them out. whether it's by blogging, writing a letter, writing in a personal diary, or even just jotting down my random thoughts on a piece of scratch paper. it's like as long as i can somehow get my thoughts out i no longer feel as though they're consuming me.


4. share- reach out to family and friends who might be feeling the same things. share how you are feeling and listen to how the situation makes them feel. there is nothing more comforting than knowing that your feelings are normal and that you aren't going through this alone.

5. take care of yourself- i don't know about you, but when i'm faced with a difficult situation my natural instincts to take care of my self kind of go out the window. i can't sleep or eat because i'm consumed with the situation. i don't shower, get dressed, or put on make-up. but i've come to find that one of the quickest ways to improve your mood is to take care of yourself. drink a couple of glasses of wine before bed if that's what it takes to get a good night sleep ( i know that works for me). set an alarm on your phone or leave note reminding yourself to eat and take a shower. get dressed in the mornings, no matter how difficult a task it may seem. i promise feeling attractive will always improve your mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover