Friday, May 3, 2013

Harboring a Thankful Heart

I think often times it becomes way to easy to lose yourself in the negative. Life can be hard and unfair and we like to dwell on that. Problem is, that isn't the way I desire to live my life. That isn't the kind of children I want to raise. 
I can't count the number of times I have seen a very ungrateful child throw a fit because they didn't get the toy they wanted, or the treat they wanted, or their parents told them to do something they don't want to do. It doesn't make that child very likable. It's sad but true. But when you stop and think about it, it isn't that child's fault. That child is a product of their parents, a direct example of how their parents are raising them.

And guess what?! Children learn by example!

I've come to this epiphany lately and I have begun to realize, I need to model the behavior I want to see in my children.

I can tell them to say their prayers, but if they never see me praying they won't either.
I can tell them to use "please and thank you", but if I'm not being polite to the cashier or the waiter or anyone I come in contact with, they aren't going to be either.
I can tell them to be thankful for what they have, but if I'm constantly complaining or wishing for more, they will too.

It's kind of a big deal! I mean, I am shaping human beings here. I am playing a huge role in the kind of adults they will grow up to be.

I want them to be kind and generous, empathetic and sensitive, happy and thankful, responsible and wise, moral and saintly adults.

That means that I have to be that kind of adult. 

This is going to take a lot of focus and dedication. It's going to mean I have to constantly make the conscious decision to be that example. It won't always be easy, I will sometimes fail, but it will be worth it.

One of the first changes I want to make in myself is to have an ever thankful heart. My goal is to write down 3 things I'm thankful for every night. 
I plan to share them here at the end of each week.

I am thankful...

For my parents, for welcoming us into their home while we transition into our own.

That they make such an effort to make their home feel like home to us, so that we never feel like visitors.

For Beau, for how hard he works to provide for our family.

For Owen's delicious thighs.

For Owen. He brings me more joy than I ever imagined possible.

For our sweet Baby 2. 

That both of our children are happy and healthy.

For the rain this week, for washing away some of the pollen.

For our doctors.

For my sister Mary, for loving Owen so much.

For the internet, cause it kinda rocks.

For two working vehicles.

For Beau's job.

That Beau got to spend the morning with us today.

Happy Friday everyone!
Have a great weekend :)

1 comment:

Pin It button on image hover